Happy Shakespeare Day!
Today is the day literary boffins around the world honour William Shakespeare‘s death, which was exactly 400 years ago today.
Fun Fact: Shakespeare wrote 37 plays and 154 sonnets
I thought I would celebrate Shakespeare Day here at ReadandReview by listing my Top 10 Quotes, from my favourite Shakespeare play, Macbeth. It was first performed in April 1611, and there was a brand new film adaptation of Macbeth released in October 2015, starring Michael Fassbender.
So, without further ado, here are my Top 10 Quotes:
- ‘Fair is foul, and foul is fair
Hover through the fog and filthy air’ (Witches, Act 1, Scene 1)
- ‘Stars, hide your fires
Let not light see my black and deep desires’ (Macbeth, Act 1 Scene 4)
- ‘Come, your spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here’ (Lady Macbeth, Act 1 Scene 5)
- ‘False face must hide what the false heart doth know’ (Macbeth, Act 1 Scene 7)
- ‘I heard a voice cry, “Sleep no more:
Macbeth does murder sleep”‘ (Macbeth, Act 2 Scene 2)
- ‘O, full of scorpions is my mind, dear wife!’ (Macbeth, Act 3 Scene 2)
- ‘This is the very painting of your fear;
This is the air-drawn dagger which you said
Led you to Duncan’ (Lady Macbeth, Act 3 Scene 4)
- ‘I grant him bloody,
Luxurious, avaricious, false, deceitful,
Sudden, malicious, smacking of every sin
That has a name’ (Malcolm, Act 4 Scene 3)
- ‘Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?’ (Lady Macbeth, Act 5 Scene 1)
- ‘this dead butcher, and his fiend-like queen’ (Malcolm, Act 5 Scene 9)